Why Chocolates Bad for Your Dog's Health?

Friday, May 23, 2008


Humans love chocolates. We crave for chocolates and love to taste the sweetness they bring. I admit I'm one of chocolate fanatic and always buy loads of and them store them on the fridge. But if chocolate makes us feel good, well, not for dogs, it's a big NO NO.

So why are they bad for your dog's health?- Chocolates contain methylxanthine alkaloids in the form of theobromine and caffeinea, which are toxic to dogs. They can also contain high amounts of fat which can put your dogs health in jeopardy as well. This means that when a dog takes or have eaten chocolates, they will experience vomiting and diarrhea to panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death in severe cases.

If your dog has eaten a considerable amount of chocolate, or displays any of the above symptoms, take her to the vet right away. If her symptoms are minor, make her eat activated charcoal. The unabsorbed theobromine binds to it and be passed out of the system. (In a pinch, burnt - as in thoroughly blackened - toast will do.)

I myself don't know about this fact before. That's why I did once let my dog ate chocolates. Thank God nothing happened to him. Now that I know, well, it's a wake call... I would never ever feed him chocolates. ;)

Source: http://www.statssheet.com/articles/article169.html

No comments: